Skip to main content

Shadow of a beast 4

Santa Laura was a city of immaculate beauty at night. Nile especially appreciated the cobblestone buildings, illuminated by those weird crimson-red lamps with no apparent fuel nor oil. "I can see myself coming here from time to time," he thought to himself "just to enjoy this view".

Since the second beast joined the fight, the balance has been shifted violently against Nile. Even after he was able to recover from the collision with the wall, he had completely unable to land any hits and has been excruciatingly struggling to avoid taking in more damage. The two beasts figured out his moves and countered with terrifying calm and efficiency. At this point, it was no longer a question of "if" but "when" will they finish him off. They did not seem to mind taking time. 

A couple of jumps and kicks later, Nile found himself flying into the stem of a tree, back-first. As soon as his body made contact he heard a crackling sound and new that something in his back broke. He lay with his back to the tree, legs open and head hunched. This was the end of the line for him. He went into a deep slumber as his eyes faded out. The two beasts towered before his body like mountains. 

"Let me help you" 
"No" 
"Please, Nile, I beg you. Just let me help you" 
"I told you to stay out of my business"
"I can not see you like this and stay away. It breaks my heart" 
"That's your problem, not mine. I fought and I lost. That's all there's to it"
"You did not go all out"
"I gave it all I have"
"No you did not. You have me on the sidelines"
"I gave it all I have"
"We are all one. Who says that?"
"..."
"We are all one, Nile, I am a part of you. You know that"
"You and I, we are not one! We have never been one!"
"Don't say that! Don't you dare say that!" 
"Please leave me be"
"These beasts will kill you"
"Then so be it. I've been careless. I've killed one of them before because he underestimated me. I can't blame them for doing the same"
"I was so proud of you when you plucked his head like a daisy. You were so precise it was almost merciful"
"Shut up and stop pandering. And please just let me be. I'm ok with this outcome"
"That I can not do. We have a contract that I must honor. I'm sorry if it's inconvenient to you sometimes, but it is what it is. I'm taking over"
"Please don't man. Why can you just shut the fuck up and mind your business?"
"This is my business. Now if you'll excuse me ..."
"I'll pay heavily for this, won't I?"
"You will see later"
"Shit" 

As they were walking away, the two beasts felt a breeze coming from the tree where they left the body and looked back. Nile was standing. It was the same Nile, but an air of unease struck them and they went into a defensive stance. There was a different aura to him. He started walking towards them and they were instinctively stepping back. Something was happing within him. As he stepped into the cobblestone of the square, light shone towards him from the crimson red lamps and his shadow started to draw. It was the shadow of a demon.

As they saw his shadow, the two beasts held their grounds and readied their giant swords. Nile looked at them and his eyes were still pitch black. The air suddenly became heavier.

"Gentlemen, whatever happens here, know that I did not want it to come to this" said Nile
"It is what it is, demon" said the second beast
"If that's the case, I'll see you soon enough" said Nile, and then he leapt. 

Time stopped for a second, like a heart missing a beat, then it resumed. The cobblestone ground of the square was illuminated by the exquisite crimson-red light of those weird lamps. The tree was still standing but a couple of branches have fallen out. The crescent moon came out from behind a cloud, like a shy maiden, and shone, making a magnificent mixture of lights and colors. Nile stood, blood on his cloth, thinking about just how beautiful it all was, and his eyes shed a tear. His Scythe, Silva, lay next to him, battered and beaten. He was holding two heads, one in each hand.

Behind him lay the bodies if the two beasts, on both knees. In a second, they will slump to the ground. He stayed standing just a moment more, enjoying the gentle breeze of midnight and the divine colors that brought such relief to his soul. People started slowly gathering at the square, watching the scene unfold in reverence. Everything was so perfectly still, yet something profound was happening. 

His eyes kept weeping as they turned back to their natural light brown, then he slumped to the ground and both heads rolled in front of him. 

"I'm sorry Nile, I did what I had to do" 

He had won, but at which price?     

Comments

Best of

first hunt: part 2

first hunt

Bounty hunting is a soulless business